Monday, November 19, 2007

Question Six

In the beginning of the novel, Esperanza Rising, Esperanza's house and possessions are destroyed in a fire started by jealous family members. Do you think the punishment in America is different than what it was in Mexico?

2 comments:

Erin A. said...

I feel that burning down houses is not a punishment in mexico, it is just in the book. Also, in America family fights are usually settled by not talking to each other or gossiping about each other to other people

Melodie C said...

Yes, i think that if it would have happened in America the family members who started the fire would have seen consequences. In the novel, the uncles who purposefully started the fire don't see any repercussions for their actions because one of them was a governer and the other owned a bank. But in America I don't think that would have mattered. I think they would have been taken to jail for arson.